logo icomos

Special ICOMOS Advisor for the UNESCO World Heritage Convention

Based on the recommendations and observations of experts in various fields and the reports of experts who visited the nominated properties, I was reponsible to prepare the ICOMOS draft recommendations to be presented to the World Heritage Committee for the following properties:

Sur la base des recommandations et des observations d'experts dans une variété de domaines et des rapports d'experts qui ont visité les biens nominés, j'ai préparé l'ébauche des recommandations de l'ICOMOS devant être présentées au Comité du patrimoine mondial.

[click] Syria: Ancient Villages of Northern Syria

image

Brève description

Situés dans le vaste Massif calcaire au nord-ouest de la Syrie, une quarantaine de villages antiques ont été retenus au sein du bien pour leur remarquable état de conservation architectural et paysager. Ils offrent un aperçu cohérent des modes de vie ruraux et villageois de l’Antiquité tardive et de l’époque byzantine. Abandonnés définitivement au cours des VIIIeXe siècles, ils possèdent toujours une grande partie de leurs monuments et constructions originelles : maisons d’habitation, temples païens, églises et sanctuaires chrétiens, monuments funéraires, thermes, édifices publics, bâtiments aux fonctions économiques et artisanales, etc. Regroupé au sein de huit parcs archéologiques, l’ensemble forme une série de paysages culturels reliques.

Brief description

Located in the vast Limestone Massif in northwest Syria, some forty ancient villages have been selected for the property because of their remarkable state of architectural and landscape preservation. They provide a coherent insight into the rural lifestyles of villagers in late Antiquity and the Byzantine Period. Definitively abandoned in the 8th to 10th centuries, they still retain a large part of their monuments and original buildings: dwellings, pagan temples, churches and Christian sanctuaries, funerary monuments, bathhouses, public buildings, buildings with economic or artisanal purposes, etc. Grouped within eight archaeological parks, the ensemble forms a series of relict cultural landscapes.

[click] Barbados: Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison

image

Brief description

Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison are witness to more than three centuries of maritime development which allowed Bridgetown to be a major port city and trading centre in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The port city was also an entrepôt for the movement of goods and enslaved people into the Caribbean and South America. The Garrison became the Eastern Caribbean Headquarters for the British Navy until 1805 and its Army until 1905.

Brève description

Le centre historique de Bridgetown et sa garnison témoignent de plus de trois siècles de développement maritime qui permirent à Bridgetown d’être une grande cité portuaire et commerciale aux XVIIe, XVIIIe et XIXe siècles. La cité portuaire servit aussi d’entrepôt pour le mouvement des marchandises et des personnes réduites en esclavage qui y transitaient à destination des Caraïbes et de l’Amérique du Sud. La garnison fut le quartier général dans les Caraïbes orientales de la marine britannique jusqu’en 1805 et de l’armée jusqu’en 1905.

[click] Nicaragua: León Cathedral

image

Brief description
León Cathedral was constructed between 1747 and the early 19th century. It is 105,83 m long by 57,13 m wide. The project was conceived by the Guatemalan architect Diego José de Porres Esquivel on the basis of a rectangular layout, used for Latin American Cathedrals from the 16th century. Architectural features and proportions respond to trends that originated in Antigua Guatemala that reach in León their most significant expression. From a stylistic point of view, the monument shows the transition from Baroque to Neo-classic and is characterized by the sobriety of its decoration. The Cathedral contains important movable works of art.

Brève description
La cathédrale de León fut construite entre 1747 et le début du XIXe siècle. Ses dimensions sont de 105,83 m de long par 57,13 m de large. Le projet a été conçu par l’architecte guatémaltèque Diego José de Porres Esquivel sur la base du plan rectangulaire utilisé dans les cathédrales d’Amérique latine à partir du XVIe siècle. Les caractéristiques architecturales et les proportions répondent aux tendances qui trouvent leur origine à Antigua Guatemala et qui atteignent leur plus haute expression à León. D’un point de vue stylistique, le monument montre la transition du baroque au néoclassique et se caractérise par la sobriété de sa décoration. La cathédrale contient d’importantes œuvres d’art meubles.

[click] France: Bassin minier du Nord-Pas de Calais

image

Brève description

Le Nord-Pas de Calais offre un paysage remarquable façonné par trois siècles (XVIIIe au XXe siècle) d’extraction du charbon. Les 120 000 hectares du site sont constitués de 109 biens individuels qui peuvent être des fosses (la plus vieille date de 1850), des chevalements (supportant les ascenseurs), des terrils (dont certains couvrent 90 hectares et dépassent les 140 mètres de haut), des infrastructures de transport de la houille, des gares ferroviaires, des corons et des villages de mineurs comprenant des écoles, des édifices religieux, des équipements collectifs et de santé, des bureaux de compagnies minières, des logements de cadres et châteaux de dirigeants, des hôtels de ville, etc. Le site témoigne de la recherche du modèle de la cité ouvrière, du milieu du XIXe siècle aux années 1960, et illustre une période significative de l’histoire de l’Europe industrielle. Il informe sur les conditions de vie des mineurs et sur la solidarité ouvrière.

Brief description

Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin: Remarkable as a landscape shaped over three centuries of coal extraction from the 1700s to the 1900s, the site consists of 109 separate components over 120,000 ha. It features mining pits (the oldest of which dates from 1850) and lift infrastructure, slag heaps (some of which cover 90 ha and exceed 140 m in height), coal transport infrastructure, railway stations, workers’ estates and mining villages including social habitat, schools, religious buildings, health and community facilities, company premises, owners and managers’ houses, town halls and more. The site bears testimony to the quest to create model workers’ cities from the mid 19th century to the 1960s and further illustrates a significant period in the history of industrial Europe. It documents the living conditions of workers and the solidarity to which it gave rise.