Heritage Buildings of the NCC

 

A catalogue of the heritage buildings owned by

the National Capital Commission

 

1997

Prepared by F. LeBlanc, J. Fortier, A. Webb

 

Heritage Buildings of the NCC

 


This catalogue provides an overview of the heritage buildings owned by the National Capital Commission.

A brief heritage statement is provided for each building along with a photo and its designation.

 

Heritage Buildings - Treasury Board Policy

  • It is the policy of the federal government to protect the heritage character of Crown-owned buildings.
  • Before custodian departments can alter, dismantle, alienate, or demolish a federal building 40 years old or older, they must identify the building to the Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office (FHBRO) for evaluation.
  • Any custodian department proposing to acquire a building 40 years old or older must also obtain the advice of the FHBRO about its potential heritage designation. FHBRO is managed by the Department of Canadian Heritage.
  • Canadian Heritage established criteria for the designation of heritage buildings. These criteria for the designation permit distinction between classified and recognized buildings.
  • Classified (identified in this document with a (C) means a federal building to which the Minister of Canadian Heritage has assigned the highest heritage designation.
  • Recognized (R) means a federal building to which the Minister of Canadian Heritage has assigned the second level of heritage designation.

 

 

Powell House (R)

Concession 4, Gloucester Township

The Powell House was probably built in the 1880's after which it changed hands several times. It is an attractive, typical residence of the second half of the nineteenth century. The house is a good example of a pattern book house recommended for rural rather than urban use. This is reflected in the building's broad proportions, large "footprint" to provide for more ground floor area, and, with the exception of turned details on the verandah, lack of ornament. The heritage quality of the building lies in the quality of its design and construction, and the continued integrity of its farmland site and setting.

 

 

George Sparks House (R)

936-940 River Road, Vanier

 

The Sparks House is a late example of a rural residence built around 1868 in the British classical tradition. The semi-detached stone house is a relatively rare form of rural building. Even though the inhabitants of the Sparks House, as individuals, played a modest role in regional affairs, the house is nevertheless associated with the Sparks family which has been influential in the development of Ottawa in the nineteenth century.

 

 

The Willson Estate (C)

Meech Lake, Gatineau Park

 

Constructed in 1907, the Willson Estate consists of a house and four surviving ancillary buildings situated on 30 acres of land. Transportation to the Gatineau Hills was difficult until a rail line was built in 1903. The Willson family association with Meech Lake probably began in 1904 when they rented a cottage at the southwest corner of the lake. Construction began in the spring of 1907 with Willson and the architect, possibly E.L. Horwood, frequently surveying the site. Among the many prominent guests to visit the house was the English poet Rupert Brooke, whose visit to Ottawa was chronicled in Letters from America. In 1911, Willson built a dam and power house on nearby Meech Creek, creating yet another industrial enterprise, a Phosphoric Acid Condensation Plant, the first in the world.

 

 

Prime Minister's Summer Cottage (R)

Harrington Lake, Gatineau Park

 

The Prime Minister's summer house was built in 1925 by Ottawa lumber baron Colonel Cameron Macpherson Edwards. The Harrington Lake estate was closely connected with Senator W.C. Edwards and his nephew, C.M. Edwards, both of whom played a prominent role in the economic and social development of the Ottawa region. Since 1959, it has been the country retreat of six Prime Ministers of Canada. The house commands a magnificent view of the lake and the hills beyond. Despite the fact that the building will never be seen directly by the vast majority of Canadians, it is and will remain a conspicuous symbol of the Prime Minister's Office.

 

 

Wakefield Grist Mill (R)

Gatineau Park, Wakefield

 

The original Mill was built in the late 1830s, burnt down in 1877, and was rebuilt. It burnt again in 1910 leaving only the walls standing. It was again reconstructed with an extra storey of brick added to the extant stone walls. Wakefield's first inhabitants arrived in 1830. Despite the fact that reasonable agriculture land was sparse, the population grew quickly. The La Pêche River soon had a woolen mill and a sawmill. The Wakefield Grist Mill was built by W. Fairbairn in the 1830s and sold to the Maclarens in 1844 who operated it successfully until 1941. In turn, the Maclarens sold the mill to J.P. Henderson who converted it into a feed mill. The mill was run by Ken and Ernie Young until 1980. The Mill derives its heritage significance from its association with the settlement and industrial development of the north shore of the Ottawa River and of the Gatineau Hills.

 

 

Maclaren House (R)

Gatineau Park, Wakefield

 

The Maclaren House was built between 1861 and 1871 by John Maclaren. The house's design represents a combination of the Italianate and Gothic Revival styles that were so popular at the time. The Maclaren House should be viewed in the context of the settlement of the Gatineau River and the eventual dominance of the business of the area by the Maclarens. The family acted as community leaders to spearhead settlement and development of the area. They owned the general store, the grist mill and a sawmill.

   
Sussex Drive buildings elevations
[click] Click here for larger image of Sussex Drive Elevations  

 

 

Commercial Building (R)

457-459 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The building was erected circa 1850. It is representative of nineteenth-century vernacular commercial architecture in Lower town and it is an authentic component of the original nineteenth-century commercial streetscape along Sussex Drive. Continuing the multiple use function of the building encourages the survival of a traditional use, while reinforcing the heritage character of the neighbourhood.

   

Commercial Building (R)

461-465 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

Built circa 1850, the building is a rare survivor of the early period in Sussex Street's development. It illustrates the large scale which speculative mixed commercial and residential building could achieve at an early, pre-incorporation date. The building's heritage character is defined by its scale, its volume, the regularity of its openings, the handling of its exterior materials, and its joint-use functional layout.

 

 

Willson Carbide Mill (R)

Victoria Island, Ottawa

 

The Ottawa Carbide Company built their plant on Victoria Island between 1899 and 1900. It bears the name of Thomas Leopold Willson, inventor of the process to produce calcium carbide and acetylene gasand founder of the Ottawa Carbide Company. The four-story mill building which now remains was conceived by engineers for utilitarian purposes but was given some features which soften its mainly industrial character. Although the traditional appearance of the mill belies a typical industrial building, the interior boasts an innovative layout that provided each process with its own specific and protected space.

 

 

Connors Building (R)

211 Montcalm Street, Hull

 

The Connors Building (the former Hull Iron and Steel Foundry) was built in 1913-14 for its owner, Archibald Coplan. The Foundry's construction reflected the improved conditions for the production of Canadian iron and steel in the early part of this century, resulting from the increasing demand, improvement in the general economic climate and upgraded transportation facilities. The building's historical significance derives from its association with Archibald Coplan, a prominent Canadian industrialist, and from its choice of a Hull location, boosting the flagging economy. The foundry is a good example of "modern" industrial design, following in fashion the first European examples, built of glass and steel. The building is also a good example of functional design, designed to flexibly accommodate the successive steps in an industrial production process, and to meet the special loading and movement needs of the operation. Its industrial character resides primarily in the large expanses of glass which bring natural light to the industrial process.

 

 

Rochon Residence (R)

138 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa

 

Once the home of woodcarver Pierre Rochon, the residence is a typical one and a half storey residence of the 1830-1850 period in Lower town Ottawa. Constructed as early as 1832, the house uses squared timber linked by dovetailed keys in a low cost framed pièce-sur-pièce technique that originated in Québec. So common was this cottage form that it is often called the traditional house of Lower town. The carver Rochon is known to have carved the stalls and sanctuary of Notre Dame Basilica in 1844. The site of the residence is directly across from the former Archbishop's Palace and Grey Nun's residence on St. Patrick Street, facing the side of Notre Dame Basilica.

 

 

Office Building (R)

17 York Street, Ottawa

 

Constructed in 1901 for Joseph M. Grant Wholesale Grocers, the building has been vacant twice for long periods of time (1932-1941 and 1975-1983): in 1981 it was the site of a minor fire. The building was constructed in its present form in 1901, incorporating in its design an earlier 1876 structure. Evidence of both of these periods of history is visible in the form, craftsmanship, and materials of its present configuration. Its facade is a clever composition that successfully seeks to blend the elements of these diverse periods into a comprehensive and unifying whole.

 

 

Commercial Building (R)

35 George Street, Ottawa

 

The building was constructed in 1907 for the Ottawa Wine Vault Co. Ltd. 35 George Street is "recognized" as a heritage property because it is an uncommon example of an early twentieth-century commercial building that survives virtually intact with a high degree of historic integrity, and because it is an important contributor to the turn-of-the-century character of the Byward Market area of Lower town Ottawa. Its value resides in the entirety of its design and fabric that relate to its original construction, its decorative and highly detailed street facade, plain, exposed, uncoursed masonry side and rear walls, and its structural system.

 

 

Commercial Building (R)

13-15 Clarence Street, Ottawa

 

Built in 1898 by Cyrias Ouellet, for the carriage maker Beloni Thibert, 13-15 Clarence is an attractive example of a turn-of-the-century Lower town structure destined for combined business and residential use. The design utilizes a Second Empire vocabulary while the siting contributes to the cohesion of similar commercial buildings in the area.

 

 

 

Collège Larocque-Lafortune (R)

445-447 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

Charles Sparrow, a Lower town merchant and entrepreneur who once served as mayor of Bytown, instigated the building's construction during the 1840s. 445-447 Sussex is a "recognized" heritage building because it was one of the earliest masonry structures constructed for commercial purposes in Lower town. This occurred during a phase of development that saw the pioneer community transformed into a permanent and prospering nineteenth-century urban centre, and because it provides continuity to the historic commercial streetscape along Sussex Drive.

 

 

Maintenance Building (R)

Major's Hill Park, Ottawa

 

The former potting house was built in 1901-1902 to designs by the Chief Architect's Office of the Department of Public Works, under the supervision of Chief Architect David Ewart, as part of the Major's Hill Park greenhouse complex. The greenhouse complex was removed in 1937-1938. Major's Hill Park was Ottawa's first municipal park. The construction of the potting house accompanied turn-of-the-century renovations to the then existing greenhouse, and the construction of a new conservatory, a two-storey summerhouse, and new fountains and walkways.

 

 

McConnell House (R)

188 Aylmer Road, Aylmer

 

The house is not a particularly unique building in terms of its heritage features in general. However, its relatively rare "connected" barn combined with its prominent location on Aylmer Road convey to it the special role of maintaining the pastoral nature of that area. Still surrounded by open space, the McConnell House is of considerable importance in maintaining a pastoral buffer, acting as a Rural/Urban transitional zone, in a surrounding area of golf courses and new subdivisions. As it represents a later phase in the settlement patterns of the area, the building did not have any major influence on the early history of the region, nor on its development. However, it is associated with the McConnells who can be numbered amoung those individuals who collectively contributed to the growth of the Hull township as a stable agricultural area.

 

 

Rideau Cottage (R)

13 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The Cottage was constructed in 1866-1867 by Stewart Taylor and Co. The Public Works architect, F.P. Rubidge, designed Rideau Cottage to serve as a home for the Secretary to the Governor General. It was as a residence for this key figure that Rideau Cottage was constructed within easy walking distance of the Hall. Containing fourteen rooms, the Cottage was a generously scaled mid-Victorian house that may be seen as a late interpretation of a picturesque villa.

 

 

Stornoway (R)

540 Acacia Drive, Ottawa

 

Stornoway was built in 1913-1914 to the designs of Ottawa architect Allen Keefer. Its heritage designation lies in the facts that: it is directly associated with eight leaders of the Opposition in Parliament; the relationship between the building and its landscape has remained unchanged; and because its setting reinforces the character of the area. The house, built by Ascanio Major whose father had founded a wholesale grocery business in the Byward Market area of Ottawa in 1889, was among the first of the large and handsome permanent residences constructed in the area. Purchased in 1923 by Mr. And Mrs. I. Robertson, Mrs. Robertson named their new house "Stornoway" in memory of her grandmother who came from Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, Scotland. Following the German invasion of the Netherlands in May 1940, Crown Princess Juliana and her family escaped initially to England and then to Canada. She rented Stornoway from December 1942 until her return to the Netherlands in July 1945.

 

 

Maplelawn (C)

529 Richmond Road, Ottawa

 

Built in 1831, Maplelawn is a fine, if late, example of a substantial country house designed in the British classical tradition of the 18th century and is one of the oldest surviving residences in the Ottawa area. Its gardens are the best preserved of the few known surviving examples of early 19th century walled gardens in Canada. Maplelawn, one of several early farming estates along the Richmond Road, was successively owned by three families (the Thompsons, the Coles, and the Rochester) all leading families in the community, who participated in its political, agricultural and business life.

 

 

Central Chambers (C)

40-46 Elgin Street, Ottawa

 

The Central Chambers, built in 1890-91 to the plans of J.J. Browne, is an excellent example of the late Victorian period and ranks among the most notable examples of the Queen Anne Revival style of commercial design in Canada. The building dominates an important downtown intersection, Elgin and Queen streets, and is an essential element in the Confederation Square streetscape.

 

Scottish Ontario Chambers (R)

42-50 Sparks Street, Ottawa

 

A very good example of Victorian Italianate style, the Scottish Ontario Chambers was designed and constructed in 1883 by William Hodgson. The building is typical of a large scale, late Victorian business block. It is also a significant element of the Confederation Square streetscape.

 

 

Waller/Nicholas House (R)

180 Waller/195 Nicholas Streets, Ottawa

 

The house on the corner of Waller/Nicholas streets was constructed 1883-84 by Horace Odell, an Ottawa brick manufacturer. It is one of Ottawa's most conspicuous examples of Second Empire style residential architecture. The location of the house on a prominent site, between two of Ottawa's busier streets, would have been compatible with the advice of architects of the day regarding the setting of Second Empire style houses. "The animated features of this style accord with activity, rather than retirement, and adapt it to prominent situations, skirting the more public thoroughfares." This location has given the building a high profile in the community.

 

 

Charron House (R)

Jacques Cartier Park, Hull

 

The Charron House was constructed in two stages between 1826 and 1841. It is a rare surviving example of a maison québécoise in the National Capital Region. The house was likely built by Charron himself, with the aid of a stonemason, on land rented from Philemon Wright. It represents a transition between the maison traditionelle québécoise of the eighteenth-century and the more modern nineteenth-century variety. The walls are 2.5 feet thick in the older section, and 3 feet thick in the second section. The house is associated with Hull's river transportation and shipbuilding industries, which began when it was sold to the Ottawa Transportation Company in 1912.

 

 

Old Geological Museum (R)

541 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

Built around 1863, the building was originally known as the Clarendon Hotel. It was purchased by the Canadian government in 1880, and remodeled the following year to house the Geological Survey of Canada. The Geological Survey of Canada and its scientists played an important role in creating a Canadian national identity through participation in international exhibitions, publications, and other endeavours. Clarendon Court, surrounded by 541 Sussex Drive and several other buildings, most closely resembles its nineteenth-century appearance. Its layout is similar to what it was in the mid 19th century and two of its surrounding buildings date from this period.

 

 

Fraser School House (R)

62 John Street, Ottawa

 

Believed to be constructed in 1837 under the order of Thomas McKay, the Fraser School House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in New Edinburgh, now a ward of Ottawa. It is alleged to have served as the first school in the village between 1838 and 1843, and as a residence for James Fraser, the first teacher. After 1843, it likely served as working class residences. The building is a good example of early working class housing, and has strong historical associations with the founding and early development of New Edinburgh.

 

 

Institut Jeanne d'Arc (R)

489 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The five nineteenth-century commercial structures that constitute today's building were constructed between 1846 and 1876. The Sisters of the Institut Jeanne d'Arc have been the sole proprietors since 1917 when they opened a boarding house for young working girls. They acquired the properties, one by one, from 1917 to 1926, and converted them into a single building. L'Institut is situated on the NCC's "Mile of History", four blocks containing some of Ottawa's oldest extant, commercial buildings. 

 

 

 

Valade Residence (R)

142-144 St. Patrick Street, Ottawa

 

Constructed in 1866 for Dr. François-Xavier Valade, the building is a two-and-a-half storey combination house and office. For much of its history, the Valade Residence has been divided into two apartments. Dr. Valade was a prominent Lower town doctor who treated Louis Riel in 1885. The building was once joined with its neighbour at 138 St. Patrick Street by a common passageway. Today, the two buildings still form a residential group visible from the Basilica and the National Gallery. Together, they reinforce the residential side of Lower town's dual residential and commercial heritage. They also secure the residential nature of St. Patrick Street.

 

 

O'Brien House (R)

Meech Lake, Gatineau Park

 

Kincora Lodge (now O'Brien house) was built in 1930 for Ottawa business man Ambrose O'Brien on the shore of Meech Lake to plans devised by architect W.E. Noffke. The only example of a large scale log house on the lake, the building conveys a feeling of rusticity created by its use of rough cedar shingles and false log siding. It is one of two large scale summer residences owned by the government at the southwest end of Meech Lake.

 

 

Bronson Company Office (R)

150 Middle Street, Victoria Island, Ottawa

 

The Bronson family was one of the most prominent of the forest products and utility magnate dynasties in the Ottawa Valley, and, as the administrative focus of their wide-ranging domain, the Bronson Company Office (built in 1880) was an integral component of the highly diverse industrial operations at the Chaudière. This building is particularly associated with E.H. Bronson, whose activities as an industrialist and a provincial politician included forest conservation, diversification of the Chaudière industrial infrastructure, and attempts to create a private utilities monopoly in Ottawa. The setting of the Bronson Company Office has changed dramatically since its construction, but the building continues as a reminder of the former bustling and constricted character of the site.

 

 

Silver Springs Farm (C) House (R) Barn

3501 Richmond Road, Nepean

 

The Farm, an important example of nineteenth-century rural architecture, consists of a central farmhouse, a cluster of barns, and an associated landscape setting. The farmhouse was built in 1867 for the Bearman brothers, prosperous second-generation Irish settlers in the Ottawa Valley. The farmhouse is also known as the Moffatt House after a recent owner, and is a striking and well-preserved example of the Gothic Revival style in a rural setting. The barn complex, comprising four attached barns in a U-shape, reflects the interest in scientific design of farm buildings at the turn of the century. The property retains the basic features of its rural past and plays an essential role in establishing and maintaining the rural and agricultural quality of the Greenbelt environment.

 

 

 

Prime Minister's Residence (C)

24 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The house was built in 1867-1868 by J.M. Currier, a prosperous lumber manufacturer, to the designs of his brother, an American architect. During World War II, Canada's increasing international relations led to the opening of many foreign embassies in Ottawa, several of which chose the Sussex Drive area. This, coupled with the federal government's objective of expanding the capital's parkland in the area, led to the 1943 expropriation of the last remaining private residence on Sussex Drive. At the time, it was suggested that the house would make a suitable official residence; however, no action was taken because the then prime minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King, owned an elegant Second Empire home on Laurier Avenue and therefore had no personal need for such a residence. In 1948, when Louis St. Laurent was elected prime minister and moved from Québec to Ottawa, the federal government decided to acquire a permanent home for the prime minister. Two years previously, 24 Sussex had been leased to the Australian High Commission. When the lease expired in 1949, the house was chosen to be the official residence.

 

 

Ottawa Hydro Generating Station #2 (C)

Amelia Island, Ottawa

 

The station was constructed in 1891 and underwent major structural and mechanical refitting in 1908-09. Station #2 is associated with several aspects of the evolution of hydro-electric power in Canada. As the oldest identified hydro-electric facility in Canada still in operation, the building is associated with the pioneer phase of hydro-electric generation in this country. The major refitting of the facility in 1908-09 with hallmark generating components of the era makes the plant a noteworthy example of the second generation of hydro-electric development in Canada. Its continuing operation has necessitated ongoing technological modernization, thereby enabling the station to present a more comprehensive picture of the evolution of hydro-electric power generation in Canada.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Main Building (C)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The original construction of what is now known as Rideau Hall began in 1838, as the house of local industrialist, Thomas McKay. McKay was involved in the lumber business who upon his death in 1855, left an estate of over 1,000 acres. By 1859, Ottawa had been chosen as the permanent capital of Canada and the construction of the Parliament Buildings soon began. In 1864, McKay's former house was leased as a temporary residence for the governor general until a suitable house could be erected elsewhere. Rideau Hall was purchased in 1868 and was enlarged and transformed in a number of campaigns between 1865 and 1913 directed by architects of the Department of Public Works. The office of the governor general is a significant one in Canadian public life, emblematic of the dignity and influence of the Crown. Although Rideau Hall has undergone many additions, the estate has retained much of its original character.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Cricket Pavilion (R)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

A cricket pavilion at Rideau Hall was originally erected in the 1870s adjacent to the playing field laid out when the site became the vice-regal estate. The present building would appear to date from the turn-of-the-century and is on the same general site as the earlier pavilion located near the fence along Mackay Street. Historical evidence suggests this building was designed and built by the Ottawa Cricket Club. The building continues to be owned by the Club and serves as a cricket pavilion.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Dairy Building (R)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The dairy building was erected in 1895, 50m southwest to its present position. It was moved to the present site in 1916. The one-storey octagonal structure included an attached small office and a milk room. The octagonal plan repeats the motif used extensively throughout the grounds, while the large multi-gabled lantern provides an attractive visual contrast to the more formal architecture of the majority of the Rideau Hall buildings.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Gasometer (Dome Building) (R)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The gasometer was erected in 1877-78 to enclose an iron holder or tank of coal gas. The building was designed by J.W.H. Watts of the Chief Architect's Branch at the Department of Public Works. It apparently ceased functioning as a gas-holder in the early twentieth-century and was converted for use as a laundry in 1912. Gasometers were constructed in England, as early as 1825, primarily for coal gas used for illumination. The building is a fine example of this type of engineering work, once found throughout the northeast U.S. and eastern Canada, few of which survive.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Gate Lodge (R)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

The octagonal gate lodge was constructed in the late 1860s, in conjunction with the erection of the main gate at the west end of the Rideau Hall grounds. Frederick Preston Rubidge, Public Works architect, was likewise responsible for many of the improvements to the McKay property, as it became the vice-regal estate. The lodge provides an obvious functional purpose related to security and at the same time serving as the only building on the vice-regal estate visible from the ceremonial route from Parliament Hill.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Main Gate (C)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

Erected in 1867-68, the gate continues to fulfill its original function as the primary entrance to the estate as well as contributing to the heritage character of the area. The main gate piers and ironwork were used as the model for the perimeter fence which was rebuilt to its present configuration in the late 1920's and early 1930's. The heritage character of the main gate is determined by its form, its function, and its setting, all of which are nearly unchanged from the original intent by Rubidge to dignify the entrance to the grounds. This image, which is shared with each dignitary, public visitor, and passer-by, originates through association with the gate as the transitional element between the heritage of Canada's head-of-state and outside contemporary activities.

 

 

Rideau Hall, Secondary Gates and Fences(R)

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa

 

Built in the 1920s and 1930s under the auspices of Thomas W. Fuller, architect, Public Works, the gates and fences were modeled on the original design details used for the main gate in the latter 1860s. Economic considerations necessitated the use of materials of less permanent character than those employed for the main gate. The five secondary gates and over 2000m of perimeter fences clearly demarcate this well-known landmark, providing an appropriate aesthetically pleasing security aspect while also contributing to the heritage of the grounds and its immediate neighbourhood.

 

 

The Hardy Arcade (R)

130 Sparks Street, Ottawa

 

The Arcade was built in 1936-37 by Doran Construction Co. of Ottawa to designs attributed to the architectural firm of Davison and Smith. The building is designated "recognized" because of its association to the well known photographer Yousuf Karsh, in whose studio was located on the upper floor of Hardy Arcade for the major part of his career until he moved to the Chateau Laurier in the 1960s. The modest, two-storey Art Deco building is also of considerable interest in the national context because it is a rare surviving example of a form of commercial architecture, the arcade. The peculiar approach taken by the architects of Hardy Arcade maximized the number of rentable stalls which could be placed within a 33-foot wide frontage, and this in turn reflects the property values and economic realities of the Great Depression.

 

 

Gilmour Hughson Lumber Co. (R)

Jacques Cartier Park, Hull

 

The former office of the lumber company is a modest masonry building dating from 1892. The structure served as the head office for the Gilmour Hughson Lumber Co. and is the only remnant on the Ottawa River of one of the most important lumber companies in Canada during the XIXth century. The building was spatially organized around a vault, centrally located on the ground floor. The vault was constructed to protect the companies important documents, as fire was often a problem on these sites.

 

 

Rockcliffe Pavilion (R)

Rockcliffe Park, Ottawa

 

The pavilion was built in 1917 under the auspices of the Ottawa Improvement Commission, whose role, as the precursor of the National Capital Commission, was to make Ottawa a capital city worthy of the name; as such, this building is a measure of that organization's success. The pavilion's design stems from ancient pedigree and its construction is innovative for the era. The building has a long association with the neighbourhood, and Ottawa generally, and is, visually, a pivotal landscape feature in the park.

 

 

Patterson Creek Pavilion (R)

Linden Terrace, Ottawa

 

The pavilion, located between the Patterson Creek inlet of the Rideau Canal and Linden Terrace, was built in 1923 by the Ottawa Improvement Commission (OIC). The building represents contemporary movements in park development and public health activism of the early twentieth-century. OIC garden structures of the pre-war era were often built of wood, in a purposefully rustic manner. After the war, the OIC were determined to build to last. An urban building, such as the Patterson Creek Pavilion would more appropriately reflect local tastes in architecture. Several houses with similar features may be found in the Patterson Creek area, so that there is a pleasing unity of design in the community.

 

 

Ottawa Electric Railway Co. Steam Plant (R)

Victoria Island, Ottawa

 

The Steam Plant was constructed in 1914-1915, and supplied the auxiliary electric power needs of Ottawa's streetcar system. The building is located on Victoria Island, part of the industrial area known as the Chaudière. The plant is associated with both the development of streetcar infrastructures in Canada and, because of its function as an auxiliary power station, with the growth of hydro-electric generation in the early 20th century. In the latter, the steam plant represents a phase when auxiliary sources were used to supplement and support hydro-electric power.

 

 

Hull Iron & Steel Foundry Office (R)

205 Montcalm Street, Hull

 

The building was constructed as the office of the Hull Iron and Steel Foundry between the years 1915 and 1918. The adjacent, large foundry at 211 Montcalm is also of "recognized" federal heritage building. The construction of this office building reflects the early 20th century attempts by the city of Hull to attract investment into a municipality devastated by fire a few years earlier, and whose industrial economy was being overtaken by other centres. The foundry's founder, Archibald Coplan, achieved national recognition in the steel and munitions industries and, in addition to branch offices of the Hull Iron and Steel Foundry in Timmins and Montreal, he had a steel works in Ogdensburg, New York.

 

 

Virginia Moore Farm (R)

Boulevard Alexandre Taché, Hull (Stable and Barn)

 

The Farm is a property of about ninety-six acres, located in the western section of the city of Hull. The stable, and the barn date from 1910, and are the only "recognized" heritage buildings on the site.. The stable is a heritage structure in the Queen Anne revival style, with emphasis on the picturesque massing present in the gables and ventilation cupola. The building represents the last years of this style's popularity. It is also considered one of the most sophisticated, with only five other ones in Canada having similar features. The barn was originally used as an indoor riding arena. It is covered with diagonal wood board siding, loosely spaced to provide ventilation and diffused light to the interior.

Stable

 

Barn

 

 

Mackenzie King Estate - Kingswood (R)

Gatineau Park

 

The complex, situated on the banks of Kingsmere Lake, is the earliest grouping of buildings on the Mackenzie King Estate. It consists of the original Kingswood Cottage (purchased in 1903), the Guest Cottage (purchased in 1922) and the Garage and Servant's Quarters (built in 1922). This building complex, more than any other property associated with Mackenzie King, illustrates the personality and character of the man.

 

 

Mackenzie King Estate - Moorside (R)

Gatineau Park

 

The main property of the estate, Moorside, was developed primarily between 1927 and 1935. It consists of the Main House, a garage with servant's quarters, a tool shed, a forge, and a number of romantic ruins dotted throughout the extensively landscaped grounds. Moorside was clearly modeled upon an English gentleman's country estate of the 18th or 19th century which gives this property an architectural uniqueness and set it apart from the typical vacation cottage. Moorside was closely associated with the political life of the country. Not only does it represent a highly personalized portrait of Mackenzie King, providing fascinating insight into his interests, tastes and acute sense of the romantic, but it was also associated with many other major political figures who came to visit him at Moorside. It is believed to have been the scene of many formal/informal political meetings.