Perth, province of Ontario, Canada

The following images are all copyright free.

Perth is a town in the eastern portion of Southern Ontario, Canada (pop. 6,003 in 2001). It is located on the Tay River, 83 km southwest of Ottawa, and is the seat of Lanark County. Perth was established as a military settlement on April 18th, 1816. Land for the settlement was obtained from the Algonkians. Perth was the first Heritage Canada Foundation demonstration project for its Main Street Canada programme that began in 1979.

Gore street in Perth on a sunny Sunday afternoon. This is Perth's Main Street that began its revitalization process in 1979 through the Main Street Canada programme.

The Tay River canal that passes through the town of Perth. In 2007, UNESCO designated the Rideau Canal as a World Heritage Site. The nomination includes the Tay Canal which celebrated its own 175th Anniversary in 2009.

Perth Town Hall: Built in 1863 on the Cockburn Island site of the old market square, the Town Hall is the focal point for this end of Gore Street with its unique clock-tower landmark. Today the Town Hall is still used by the town council to conduct the municipal affairs of Perth. Over the years, this National Historic Site, constructed of sandstone in the New Classical style, has housed a jail, a market, a concert hall, police and fire departments and public offices. Renovations in 2001 added a provincial courtroom and an elevator, and restored the clock tower to its original appearance.

A square building with the entrance on a cutoff corner and a multiplicity of Classical detailing is an obvious Beaux Arts building. This bank in Perth, built in 1903 by Darling and Pearson, is typical of this pattern of Beaux Arts banks. On the street façades are temple fronts with pediments, architraves, dentils, and engaged pilasters.

Popular restaurant at 55 Gore Street with terrace overlooking the Tay Canal.

The Perth Crystal Palace was built from parts of the Rideau Street bus mall in Ottawa. The Crystal Palace beside the Tay River Basin hosts a farmer's market every Wednesday and is home to many activities and events throughout the summer and winter.

Matheson House - Perth Museum at 11 Gore Street East. Built of local sandstone, Matheson House is an outstanding example of early Scottish-Canadian architecture. The National Historic Site, now home to the Perth Museum, features four period rooms restored and furnished to depict the lifestyle of a wealthy 19th century family, as well as a Victorian garden and two galleries.

Located on Drummond Street, the Courthouse, jail, and once used registry office represents magnificent architecture fabricated from white freestone. Situated in front of the Courthouse are two 3 pound canons, representing Perth's military role as a stragetic defense location against invasion from the south.

Inge-Va House: Built in 1823, and situated in its own park-like setting at 66 Craig Street, the Inge-Va House was originally home to the rector of this Perth Military Settlement. An eastern Ontario landmark, Inge-Va House was also the home to Robert Lyon who was the victim of the last fatal duel fought in Canada. The House was later donated to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1974.

Perth's St. James Church, a Royal Charter church, is located on Drummond Street. It was constructed in 1861 to be the cathedral for the diocese. It was utilized by the military as the Garrison's church.

Located at 25 Gore Street West, St. Paul's United Church was formerly known as Knox Presbyterian Church. It was built in 1854. In 1925, it became part of the new United Church of Canada and took the name St. Paul's United Church in 1926. In 1964, extensive brick additions were built.

The McMartin House located at125 Gore Street East was built in 1830, restored in 1974 and adapted for use by community groups. Built for Daniel McMartin, one of Perth's first lawyers, it is American Federal in architectural style with red brick and stone trim. Noteworthy are the round and semi-elliptical arches layered across the facade accented with quoins.

53 Herriott Street - This old textile mill is now home to Fiddleheads restaurant.

The Old Fire Hall at 53 Herriott Street. The prominent tower was added in 1883 so fire hoses could be hung to dry. In the 1940s the Fire Department moved to larger quarters able to house modern fire equipment. This building is currently the Tourism Information Centre and offices of the Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Perth B.I.A.

House in Stewart Park. Beautiful Stewart Park is comprised of parts of Cockburn and Haggart's Islands, and traversed by the Little Tay River. It was designed, constructed and for many years maintained by Jessie Mabel Stewart as a memorial to her husband. In 1947, the park was conveyed to the town together with an endowment fund.