AWARDS

1980

Governor General's Award for Architecture

National Historic Park - Les Forges de Saint-Maurice, Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada

Le Haut Fourneau. Photo fleblanc

This Parks Canada property is the site of one of the oldest foundry and forge industry of Canada. Its restoration faced a number of challenges. First, although the foundries to be interpreted were in use into the early 20th century, few of the original 18th century buildings remained. Any design concept had also to deal with the fact that the site was huge and scenically spectacular, set beside the St. Maurice River in what was once a large industrial town whose factories made everything from nails and stoves to plows.

To reconstruct the original humble industrial buildings from their foundations would miss the point. What was of real interest and importance was not the architectural details of long-destroyed buildings, but the developmental stages of the foundry process itself and the community that supported it. The option to reconstruct to the first stages of development was rejected as well as the simple exposition of the existing archaeological ruins.

The thrust was to create "expressive volumes", contemporary constructions, using twentieth century techniques and materials, whose proportions and form would be determined by the symbolic impact and emotion to be provoked in the visitor. The proposed architecture would have to protect the archaeological ruins while symbolically interpreting 150 years of an industrial process in constant evolution. To achieve this goal, an ideas architectural consultation limited to a few invited architectural firms was organized under F. LeBlanc's direction with the support of a professional advisor, architect André Blouin. The firm of Gauthier, Guité, Roy from Quebec City came up with the winning solution.

*************

[click] Article by Project Architect Jean-Marie Roy

[click] Article by architecture critic Trevor Boddy

********************************************

1983

Fort Chambly

Prix d'excellence en architecture de l'Ordre des architectes du Québec

Les commentaires du Jury:

Cette oeuvre de restauration et de reconstitution retient l'attention par la qualité de son interprétation historique exprimée dans un détail architectural contemporain, ainsi que par la mise en valeur imaginative et sensible des vestiges.

Entrepris en 1980 au coût de 2.5 millions de dollars, les travaux de restauration effectués ont permis de redonner au fort Chambly son visage de 1750, moment où vers la fin du Régime français il offrait toutes les ressources de son histoire militaire et architecturale. Ainsi le projet de restauration a restitué la volumétrie historique du fort, c'est-à-dire son apparence extérieure. On y a aussi refait conjecturalement l'aile de la chapelle afin de recréer l'ambiance intérieure de l'époque et on y a réhabilité deux autres ailes où logent maintenant les salles d'exposition et d'interprétation ainsi que les services d'administration.

1996

City of Ottawa Heritage Awards

The annual Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards recognize excellence in the preservation of the City's architectural heritage. Submissions are received in the following categories: Restoration (returning a heritage resource to its original form, material and integrity); Adaptive Use (modification of a heritage resource to contemporary functional standards while retaining its heritage character); and Infill (an addition to a historic building, or all-new construction within a historic context). Bronze plaques are mounted on Award of Excellence award-winning projects, and major contributors to each project receive framed certificates. Certificates of Merit are also presented to projects and contributors deserving recognition in the three categories.

 

 

The restoration of Maplelawn's roof, windows and garden walls during its conversion into a restaurant, Ottawa, Canada

Project completed during 1995.

Maplelawn, a classified historic building, was built in 1837 and is owned by the National Capital Commission (NCC), a Canadian federal government agency largely responsible for the upkeep and development of Canada's capital. The building was rehabilitated and adapted for re-use in 1995 by Peter Fallis, a local Ottawa developer who leased the property from the NCC and turned it into an upscale restaurant.

As owner, the NCC was responsible for the restoration of the building envelope. The roof and windows were in dire need of repairs as well as the garden masonry walls. Following a thorough historical research and site investigations, is was determined that the original roof was made of wood sheathing covered with tern coated tin laid "a la canadienne". The windows were original but had suffered from wood rot and lack of proper maintenance.

The more recent roof, made of industrialy produced tin sheets of standard size painted in red, was removed and samples kept for future reference. Remains of the original 1837 roof were found underneath and served as the basis for the design of the restored roof. Tern coated stainless steel, a contemporary long-lasting material was used to restore the roof. This material should have a life cycle of approximately one hundred years in the Canadian climate.

The windows were restored using traditional restoration techniques such as removing the damaged parts and replacing them with wood of the same specie glued in place then painted to the original white color.

The overall aesthetic effect is that the exterior building envelope looks like the original one both in terms of architectural details and color, but is protected by longer-lasting materials.

 

1997

Ontario Association of Architects Award of Excellence

Capital Infocentre, Ottawa - Ontario

 

Project completed in 1996

A three million dollar project to reuse a historic commercial building and transform it into a visitor centre for Canada's capital. It hosts and informs more than 250,000 visitors each year.

"Only four new buildings deserve recognition as the best of 1996" writes Globe and Mail and Ottawa Citizen newspaper architectural critic Rhys Phillips. The Capital Infocentre is one of these four projects. "A sophisticated insertion into a historic shell is a refreshingly modern addition to the Parliament Hill area" writes Canadian Architect magazine author Beth Kapusta.

The new Capital Infocentre was acclaimed by many critics and made the cover page of the Canadian Architect magazine. Comments from visitors are very flattering both for the quality of the architecture and the staff's friendliness. This project is truly a success for the National Capital Commission.

It was indeed a very complex project which involved a large number of participants. The building is owned by the federal department of Public Works and Government Services. As owner, the department was responsible for base building renovations and construction management. The renovation work was prepared by the architectural office of Katz, Webster, Clancey & Associates of Ottawa.

The National Capital Commission rents the building from the department of PWGSC and was responsible for the fit-up work. The plans and specifications were prepared by the architectural office of A.J. Diamond, Donald Schmidt & Co. of Toronto. This firm was also given the mandate to coordinate the design of the exhibits and all graphic elements. It is easy to imagine the complexity of the communications between professionals and responsible officers.

Peter Spaull, architect from NCC's Architecture Section, was the Project Manager.

Read the Canadian Architect magazine 1997 article. (pdf)

http://leblancf.com/projects/1992-2001_NCC/p_ncc_cic_article.pdf

1997

City of Ottawa Heritage Awards

Rehabilitation of 465 Sussex Drive in Ottawa

This 4-storey commercial and residential building is a recognized heritage building. Our program was to upgrade all mechanical and electrical systems, interior spaces and the existing structure to 1996 standards as well as to extend residential occupancy to the 4th floor. The commercial level is now universally accessible. The renovation budget was slightly over one million dollars and profitability is projected within the next 10 to 12 years. Mona Lamontagne, architect, was project manager, Alan Hopkins, architect, was design manager, supported by Jean-Yves Tremblay, architect, Gilles Mercier and Éric Hébert, architectural technologists. All drawings were prepared on AutoCAD version 12. All architectural and structural engineering plans were prepared in-house by National Capital Commission professional staff. Mechanical and electrical drawings were prepared by consultants.

Heritage Award by City of Ottawa / Prix du patrimoine par la Ville d'Ottawa - 1997
Curry Wood, Mayor Watson, Gilles Lalonde, Mike Malloff, Jacques Lavigne, Yves Gosselin, Mona Lamontagne, François LeBlanc, Bernard Reid

To find out more details about this project, read the following article: [click]

 

2000

ICOMOS Canada membre honoraire / honorary member

2004

Association for Preservation Technology International - College of Fellows

The College of Fellows fulfills a variety of salient functions within APT. Overall, the college advises the Board of Directors on issues regarding the advancement of philosophy and practice of preservation technology. Members of the college serve on committees or in other capacities, as needed.

The College of Fellows honors those APT members who have provided valuable services to the preservation field and to APT. Each year at the APT annual conference the College of Fellows inducts up to six new members.

The College of Fellows Jury, which consists of five members, review the nominations and elects those for invitation to the fellowship. The jury, a committee of the College of Fellows, includes three Fellows selected by the College, one member-at-Large, and one member of the Board of Directors selected by the APT President with the approval of the Board of Directors.

 

2005

ICOMOS Canada Jacques Dalibard Award / Prix

 

This Award was conceived to commemorate the dedication and many contributions of Jacques Dalibard. Jacques was recognized for his contributions to heritage conservation for more than 30 years in many capacities: ICOMOS Canada President; Founding Director of Heritage Canada and a founder of The Association for Preservation Technology.

 Since 2002, ICOMOS Canada has been honoured to present this Award to a fellow member who has had a distinguished career in the field of heritage conservation. Jacques Dalibard was the first, followed by Christina Cameron, Martin Weaver, Francois and Renee LeBlanc, Robert Grenier and in 2007, the Jacques Dalibard Medal was posthumously, presented to Robin Letellier.

2008

Harley J. McKee Award

The Harley J. McKee Award, the highest honor bestowed by APT, recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the field of preservation technology. First presented in 1985, this award is named for the late Harley J. McKee (1905-1976), the second president of APT, a Professor of Architecture most remembered for his career at Syracuse University. From 1959 to 1966 he served as field supervisor of summer teams for the Historic American Buildings Survey, in 1968 compiling his work and that of others into the text "Recording Historic Buildings," first publishing in 1970. His 1973 book "Introduction to Early American Masonry, Stone, Brick, Mortar, and Plaster," was the first to document the history of those buildings materials technology in North America for a preservation audience.

2009

Académie de l'ICOMOS

Cher François,

J'ai l'honneur de vous écrire pour vous inviter à rejoindre l'Académie de l'ICOMOS, un nouveau forum d'anciens dirigeants distingués de l'ICOMOS ayant servi l'organisation avec succès dans le passé et dont l'engagement envers l'ICOMOS est resté indéfectible au fil des ans.

Le but de l'Académie de l'ICOMOS, dont la création résulte de l'engagement que j'ai pris l'année dernière lors de ma campagne présidentielle, est de permettre à tous ceux qui sont invités à rejoindre ce groupe, de discuter librement de la façon dont vous, en tant que groupe, pouvez au mieux continuer de servir l'organisation. L'ICOMOS pourrait aussi faire appel à votre sagesse et à votre expérience sur certaines questions qui surviennent de temps en temps.

L'Académie de l'ICOMOS repose sur un concept proposé par mon prédécesseur, Michael Petzet, mais plus que cela, elle reflète aussi une profonde préoccupation que j'ai nourri pendant quelque temps. Maintes et maintes fois, j'ai vu comment, après avoir servi l'organisation loyalement et de façon désintéressée au sein du Bureau, du Comité exécutif ou autre, des personnalités profondément engagées comme vous se sont trouvées soudains coupées et déconnectées de l'organisation à la fin de vos mandats. Convaincu que l'ICOMOS doit utiliser toutes nos ressources humaines avec sagesse, je sais que cette négligence a été un gaspillage - peut être insensé - pour notre organisation.

Ayant participé à la direction et la gouvernance de l'ICOMOS pendant de nombreuses années, vous connaissez bien de l'intérieur nos forces et nos faiblesses institutionnelles. Ces connaissances et votre vaste expérience permettront au groupe de définir collectivement comment vous pourriez  au mieux servir l'ICOMOS une fois encore.

En tant que Président de l'ICOMOS, il m'est en effet un plaisir de vous honorer et de vous remercier au nom de nos 9500 membres d'avoir contribué au développement de notre organisation, et j'espère que vous serez disponible pour continuer à le faire dans l'avenir.

Avec mes cordiales salutations,  

Gustavo Araoz
Président

 2013

Médaille Gabrielle-Léger pour l'ensemble des réalisations en conservation du patrimoine / Gabrielle Léger Medal for Lifetime Achievement

 Madame Gabrielle Léger (1916-1998) consented to serve as patron for an award that recognizes individuals for their outstanding service to the country in the cause of heritage conservation. Founded in 1978, the Gabrielle Léger Award is Canada's premier honour for individual achievement in heritage conservation. The award consists of a bronze medal by sculptor John E. Matthews, and an inscribed certificate.

Mme Gabrielle Léger (1916-1998) a accepté de parrainer un prix qui reconnaît les personnes ayant rendu des services éminents au pays dans la cause de la conservation du patrimoine. Instituée en 1978, la Médaille Gabrielle-Léger est le plus grand honneur octroyé au Canada pour réalisations personnelles en conservation du patrimoine. Le prix est assorti d'une médaille de bronze réalisée par le sculpteur John E. Matthews ainsi que d'un certificat.